• show-popup

Company AFLAC
Location San Francisco, California
Category Health Insurance
Views 1253

An AFLAC rep came to my work place to sell us insurance. I haven't been to a Dentist in 8 years and was interested in Dental Insurance. I specifically asked the Rep if I could start seeing the Dentist right away. His answer was "Yes". I asked if I was unhappy with the services could I cancel at anytime. Again the Reps answer was Yes. He embellished the insurance and said it covered two Dental Cleanings and stated the first visit to your Dentist you are mailed $50 for a Wellness benefit. Basically these Reps are scammers and liars!!!!! My Dental cleaning and X-rays cost me $240...AFLAC only paid $75. I found out that I need a crown and have to pay into AFLAC for 2 years before I can even have the Dental work done. Let's do the math. That is $940. I already paid $150 for my cleaning and xrays. The crown will cost $1422 and AFLAC only pays $375. So basically...I would have to pay $2156 for premiums, 1 cleaning in 2 years and my crown. They alsio made me wait months to cancel since I signed up through my work. I had to wait until open enrollment again. Again...another fact left out!
HOW ON EARTH IS THAT CONSIDERED INSURANCE!!!! SCAM...SCAM....SCAM! Look into a Discount with your Dentist. I learned they will give you 25% of services with a smaller monthly fee and there is no waiting period.
DON'T BE ANOTHER VICTIM TO AFLAC!!!!
2f20823

Comments (14) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 04
Aflac is an amazing 70 yr old company with amazing products. Unfortunately, looks like you had a bad agent who didn't explain to you correctly or explain the waiting periods.
The reason behind the waiting periods is so that you dont buy the policy, get your thousands of dollars worth of work done and then cancel. You also must have had a lower level plan that didnt pay as much for each service, thus making it more affordable to you. They have a lot of levels to choose from so if you know that crowns etc are in your future, you choose a higher level. Any good agent would have helped you navigate what was right for you.
If you have had any other dental policy before you would know that Aflac is suppior as it pays a flat dollar amount towards the services vs other companies paying a percentage (like 50%), thus ALWAYS leaving you with a balance. Sometimes, depending on who you go to for a dentist, Aflac will pay almost all of the bill.
Reply to RIS

Mar 05  from Canyon Lake, Texas
I agree about Aflac dental is a scam .the fine print states the dentist has to TYPE UP the form and send it. You as the patient cant. my dentist office refuse to fill out the form since they are a small 1 dentist 1 receptionist office and do not have the time .
They make it so it is next to impossible to even send in a claim. the money is better off being used on an actual dental plan.
Reply to majortom1981

Nov 29, 2013
Anyone who doesn't have a agenda favoring aff__k and has half a brain can see their policy Is totally useless. Come on $75 on a $800 root canal, that is no help at all! And the frequency is useless as well. And your, who?
Reply to Jomama

Nov 04, 2013  from Stillwater, Oklahoma
Alflac is not a insurance company , you get a small part of your money returned to you. Anything helps if you have no insurance. The reps I spoke with explain everything to me before I got into it. I would be upset too if someone told me everything they told you but Alfkac isn't a scam, it sound like the reps were though
Reply to Send ribs

Oct 11, 2013
Yes between the Dentist and Insurance we are all getting raked over the coals. Anytime you sign on the dotted line you must read what you're getting and do the math. My Agent told me not get Dental because there is better options out there.
I have nothing but good to say about AFLAC but in the same breath they are an Insurance Company and rank in the same category as Politicians. LOL Maybe Obama will take care of your teeth LMAO.
Reply to SuperFly

Jul 13, 2013  from Cedar Creek, Texas
Please keep the topic of messages relevant to the subject. Personal attacks will be deleted. No Links or scripts. :eek Too late for me. I bought the insurance and I do not like it, as you said it pays for very "LITTLE". I'm stuck with this payment for a year, no cancellation.
How *** could I have been.
Central Texas Customer
Reply to Kate

Jun 07, 2013  from Butler, Pennsylvania
Aflac dental works really well when combining with a discount plan, as well. Discount Plans lower cost. Aflac pays towards care. Basic cost about $30 per month. Sounds like you had a bad rep, not a bad plan. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, Dude. My wife is a rep and talks about how there are some reps that probably shouldn't be out there, but the same could be said for any place else you go... whether McDonald's or the bank.

The other guy said it right, you need to at least read your brochures. They are pretty straight forward. Ask questions. What would you do if you were purchasing a new car or a piece of electronic equipment? You'd probably take the time to read the manual, right? Why take less time about your health and then blame others.

The summary of the dental plans that explains the waiting periods is in the first five lines in the brochures in the chart in the center. You CAN'T miss it if you even take the time to peruse it for a few seconds.
Reply to Anonymous

Jun 05, 2013  from Cincinnati, Ohio
It sounds like you are pissed because you are ignorant. Supplemental coverage doesn't mean they will pay your whole bill, it means they are there to cover gaps in insurance essentially. Let's start with the definition of supplement: sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
n.
1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.

So, on top of your regular insurance, they pay money to help you get through...it helps cover missed work, paying deductables, ect.

Furthermore, right in their brochure it says it covers preventative right away, fillings after 3 months, ect. In short, don't blame the salesman because you didn't comprehend what you agreed to.
Reply to thokk

Mar 21, 2013  from Colorado Springs, Colorado
Let me get this straight @DontbuyAflac, you took poor care of your teeth and paid $50/ month for premium and felt ripped off because you had extremely high dental bills?

I'm not an agent but I can tell you that you are a little mislead with who was in the wrong...

You wouldn't purchase Auto insurance 8 years after an accident andexpect GEICO to pay anything, would you?

Or purchase Home owners insurance today, to pay for the damaged caused by a storm last year?

Consumers that think the way you do are the reason insurance companies charge so much, so that they can cover the losses from the real scam artists out there looking for something for nothing...

That a person would be so angry with another person because of their ownhealth is funny to me.
Reply to that guy

Mar 04, 2013
I had the same problem. I was told by reps. what I would pay per code at the dentist and it sounded like a good plan. I purchased the top plan and went to an AFLAC dental provider today. They told me that I would have to pay $276 for my inital visit. There is NO coverage for the amount you pay when compared to similar dental providers.

DO NOT BUY AFLAC DENTAL!!!
Reply to Smokey

Mar 25, 2013  from Huntington Beach, California
Every dental plan I have ever had required a full year of waiting, and guess what? My company always changed plans every year so I never got major care. At least with Aflac, you start getting paid first dollar, and the rate never goes up. So I keep my plan at the same price every year and never have another waiting period. Better than all the others I have used.
Reply to phenry

Jan 18, 2013  from Jackson, Tennessee
The same happened to me about 5 yrs ago a rep came to my job i signed upfor abouy 4 different things one was suppose to be if i got sick then i cam dip into some sort of fund and get money but what was not told u had to be enrolled a full year and guess what when this happened to me i was just shy of a year but it still did me no good
Reply to bubb

Nov 02, 2012
Read your brochure, and then your policy, and you would see that your benefits are very clear!
Reply to Kevin

Nov 01, 2012
As a top producer or Aflac dental I can tell you it is not a scam, however your agent may be.You should inform yourself as to the benefits of your policy BEFORE you knock something you obviously are not informed about.
Reply to Bart

Read next AFLAC complaint

AFLAC say too bad to me, can't pay me.

I got my elbow injury at work, went to hospital and doctor's order for me no work for 7 days.I f...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about AFLAC.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug