AFLAC DENTAL INSURANCE IS A SCAM

68 of 110 Aflac Reviews

An AFLAC rep came to my work place to sell us insurance. I haven't been to a Dentist in 8 years and was interested in Dental Insurance. I specifically asked the Rep if I could start seeing the Dentist right away. His answer was "Yes". I asked if I was unhappy with the services could I cancel at anytime. Again the Reps answer was Yes. He embellished the insurance and said it covered two Dental Cleanings and stated the first visit to your Dentist you are mailed $50 for a Wellness benefit. Basically these Reps are scammers and liars!!!!! My Dental cleaning and X-rays cost me $240...AFLAC only paid $75. I found out that I need a crown and have to pay into AFLAC for 2 years before I can even have the Dental work done. Let's do the math. That is $940. I already paid $150 for my cleaning and xrays. The crown will cost $1422 and AFLAC only pays $375. So basically...I would have to pay $2156 for premiums, 1 cleaning in 2 years and my crown. They alsio made me wait months to cancel since I signed up through my work. I had to wait until open enrollment again. Again...another fact left out!

HOW ON EARTH IS THAT CONSIDERED INSURANCE!!!! SCAM...SCAM....SCAM! Look into a Discount with your Dentist. I learned they will give you 25% of services with a smaller monthly fee and there is no waiting period.

DON'T BE ANOTHER VICTIM TO AFLAC!!!!

More Review Details

Had the same issue 80 Yes 80
68 of 110 Aflac Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 30 #1013957

I have had Aflac dental for years and they have been great. If you read the total benefits before you go, you won't have issues.

Agent

Jul 15 #1007994 Oxnard, California

You need to change your dentist!
AFLAc pays the same $50 according to their schedule no matter
how much YOUR dentist charges. If you go to an overpriced dentist then of course you will be responsible for paying the difference. If you get a groupon or go to a dentist and they charge $40, you get to keep the extra $10. All this is stated in the policy.

Apr 08 #969448 Burlington, Washington

Aflac is a scam!!! Paid the 2 years and now they won't cover!!!

Christina

Feb 12 #945105 Las Vegas, Nevada

I had Aflac dental insurance for over a year and in my opinion one of the best dental insurances out there. I signed up through my work because I knew it was probably a good idea to at least have it. I grind my teeth in my sleep, not nearly as bad as I used to but rarely now and had broken a tooth. I didn't know I had broken a tooth, I had severe tooth pain but waited to go to the dentist because I had 2 weeks to go before my insurance would be in effect. Tooth pain went away before I went to the dentist so, thinking it was nothing I never went. Almost a year later I started having severe tooth pain again. I went to the dentist and they did full mouth x-rays and told me I had a broken tooth and the root was abscessed. I was informed that if I just waited another 2 weeks for my insurance to be active for a full year, that Aflac would cover my root canal 100%, so I waited. I had a $2000 annual limit, so the root canal which was $1000, plus x-rays, plush several fillings I needed was all covered, I didn't pay a single penny. I hate going to the dentist and the dentist I went to was very nice and very informative and made the whole experience of getting a root canal for the first time pleasurable.

2 1 Reply
Denise

Dec 11, 2014 #914403 Bloomfield, New Jersey

I've had Aflac dental for about 5 years now. I've never had a problem at all. They best thing for you to do is to find a dentist who is willing to accept their rates. FYI, the rates they pay are very competitive with most dental insurance companies.
My dentist agreed to accept their rates. He bills my claims directly to them and Aflac pays him directly. I've had a few root canals and crowns done as well as some fillings. I go for cleanings every six months. I've havent paid a dime out of pocket in 4 years for dental work.

3 3 Reply
Lisa

Feb 08 #942689 Phoenix, Arizona

Text me your Dentist office if it's in Arizona. I need to find a Dentist 602-828-9167 thanks in advance if u respond

0 0 Reply
getoutoftownAFLAC

Jul 10, 2014 #838869

That is really disconcerting to hear AFLAC would be involved in such deception.. I am currently researching a dental insurance plan, and steering clear of AFLAC! I hope everyone leaves reviews about bad service, so that eventually the ROGUE offenders will be driven out of business, since they won't be gettin' any!!!!!!!

0 3 Reply
Marina

May 09, 2014 #813404 Lake Worth, Florida

Aflac is not dental insurance - it is supplemental. If the dentist offers you 25% off for cash paying client, Aflac still pays it's portion for that procedure.
For example...I have dental insurance. For a crown, I pay out of pocket $500. Aflac will pay $375. I then have payed only $125 out of pocket. It is "supplemental" it is not regular dental insurance. It pays "in addition" to whatever benefits you might get, whether your own dental plan, or a discount from the dentist.
Cheers!

9 0 Reply
RIS

Apr 04, 2014 #802062

Aflac is an amazing 70 yr old company with amazing products. Unfortunately, looks like you had a bad agent who didn't explain to you correctly or explain the waiting periods.
The reason behind the waiting periods is so that you dont buy the policy, get your thousands of dollars worth of work done and then cancel. You also must have had a lower level plan that didnt pay as much for each service, thus making it more affordable to you. They have a lot of levels to choose from so if you know that crowns etc are in your future, you choose a higher level. Any good agent would have helped you navigate what was right for you.
If you have had any other dental policy before you would know that Aflac is suppior as it pays a flat dollar amount towards the services vs other companies paying a percentage (like 50%), thus ALWAYS leaving you with a balance. Sometimes, depending on who you go to for a dentist, Aflac will pay almost all of the bill.

3 1 Reply
majortom1981

Mar 05, 2014 #791559 Canyon Lake, Texas

I agree about Aflac dental is a scam .the fine print states the dentist has to TYPE UP the form and send it. You as the patient cant. my dentist office refuse to fill out the form since they are a small 1 dentist 1 receptionist office and do not have the time .
They make it so it is next to impossible to even send in a claim. the money is better off being used on an actual dental plan.

0 2 Reply

Jul 06 #1004101

You do not have to get the formed signed by the dentist. Just put your policy number on it and fax it to the free number. Ask your dentist to print out a superbill. If they won't do it then you just need to get a new dentist not complain about your supplemental insurance company.

2 0 Reply
Jomama

Nov 29, 2013 #749628

Anyone who doesn't have a agenda favoring aff__k and has half a brain can see their policy Is totally useless. Come on $75 on a $800 root canal, that is no help at all! And the frequency is useless as well. And your, who?

0 3 Reply
Send ribs

Nov 04, 2013 #737609 Stillwater, Oklahoma

Alflac is not a insurance company , you get a small part of your money returned to you. Anything helps if you have no insurance. The reps I spoke with explain everything to me before I got into it. I would be upset too if someone told me everything they told you but Alfkac isn't a scam, it sound like the reps were though

2 1 Reply
SuperFly

Oct 11, 2013 #727956

Yes between the Dentist and Insurance we are all getting raked over the coals. Anytime you sign on the dotted line you must read what you're getting and do the math. My Agent told me not get Dental because there is better options out there.
I have nothing but good to say about AFLAC but in the same breath they are an Insurance Company and rank in the same category as Politicians. LOL Maybe Obama will take care of your teeth LMAO.

Kate

Jul 13, 2013 #680134 Cedar Creek, Texas

Please keep the topic of messages relevant to the subject. Personal attacks will be deleted. No Links or scripts. :eek Too late for me. I bought the insurance and I do not like it, as you said it pays for very "LITTLE". I'm stuck with this payment for a year, no cancellation.
How *** could I have been.
Central Texas Customer

Jun 07, 2013 #661845 Butler, Pennsylvania

Aflac dental works really well when combining with a discount plan, as well. Discount Plans lower cost. Aflac pays towards care. Basic cost about $30 per month. Sounds like you had a bad rep, not a bad plan. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, Dude. My wife is a rep and talks about how there are some reps that probably shouldn't be out there, but the same could be said for any place else you go... whether McDonald's or the bank.

The other guy said it right, you need to at least read your brochures. They are pretty straight forward. Ask questions. What would you do if you were purchasing a new car or a piece of electronic equipment? You'd probably take the time to read the manual, right? Why take less time about your health and then blame others.

The summary of the dental plans that explains the waiting periods is in the first five lines in the brochures in the chart in the center. You CAN'T miss it if you even take the time to peruse it for a few seconds.

3 0 Reply
thokk

Jun 05, 2013 #660753 Cincinnati, Ohio

It sounds like you are pissed because you are ignorant. Supplemental coverage doesn't mean they will pay your whole bill, it means they are there to cover gaps in insurance essentially. Let's start with the definition of supplement: sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
n.
1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.

So, on top of your regular insurance, they pay money to help you get through...it helps cover missed work, paying deductables, ect.

Furthermore, right in their brochure it says it covers preventative right away, fillings after 3 months, ect. In short, don't blame the salesman because you didn't comprehend what you agreed to.

4 0 Reply
that guy

Mar 21, 2013 #626604 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Let me get this straight @DontbuyAflac, you took poor care of your teeth and paid $50/ month for premium and felt ripped off because you had extremely high dental bills?

I'm not an agent but I can tell you that you are a little mislead with who was in the wrong...

You wouldn't purchase Auto insurance 8 years after an accident andexpect GEICO to pay anything, would you?

Or purchase Home owners insurance today, to pay for the damaged caused by a storm last year?

Consumers that think the way you do are the reason insurance companies charge so much, so that they can cover the losses from the real scam artists out there looking for something for nothing...

That a person would be so angry with another person because of their ownhealth is funny to me.

3 1 Reply
Smokey

Mar 04, 2013 #617920

I had the same problem. I was told by reps. what I would pay per code at the dentist and it sounded like a good plan. I purchased the top plan and went to an AFLAC dental provider today. They told me that I would have to pay $276 for my inital visit. There is NO coverage for the amount you pay when compared to similar dental providers.

DO NOT BUY AFLAC DENTAL!!!

phenry

Mar 25, 2013 #628095 Huntington Beach, California

Every dental plan I have ever had required a full year of waiting, and guess what? My company always changed plans every year so I never got major care. At least with Aflac, you start getting paid first dollar, and the rate never goes up. So I keep my plan at the same price every year and never have another waiting period. Better than all the others I have used.

1-20 of 23 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Aflac.
Filing a new complaint about
×